Money-Saving Ideas on Lake Tahoe Vacations
End-of-Season Tahoe Discounts
Save money on your Lake Tahoe family vacation with these tips on special deals and discounts.
Want to take the family to Lake Tahoe for Spring Break, but worried you’ll break your wallet instead? Fear not! Tahoe has great deals all season long—and the 2008 season at some resorts was just extended to May 4 this year, thanks to the plentiful snowfall this winter—you just need to know where to look. From ski resorts, to luxury lodging to great restaurants, check out these deals and tips to find specials that will save money and let you focus on one thing: having an exciting family vacation.
Ski resorts always offer special deals on lift tickets and lesson packages—and even better ones now that spring skiing is here. Check resort Web sites for “Specials” sections—sometimes you have to hunt a bit, but they’re there. Here are some great family discounts at a few Tahoe resorts:
Northstar-at-Tahoe Resort/Sierra-at-Tahoe Resort
- $51 lift ticket vouchers, March 17 to season close. (Available at participating Bay Area and Reno retailers; near Tahoe: REI Reno, Bobo’s Mogul Mouse and Reno Mountain Sports. See www.northstarattahoe.com for full list.)
- “Spring Quad Ticket Paks”: Save big when you buy a four-pack. Adults: $216 at $54 per day; Young Adult: $156 at $39 per day; Kids: $59 at just $14.75 per day. Tickets don’t have to be used consecutively—this deal is a steal.
- Two-day Adult lift tickets: $99 when you buy online.
- American Express Cardholders get 20 percent off tickets and lodging when you purchase with an AmEx card. Call Kirkwood Lodging for reservations and more information: 800-967-7500
- “Kids Ski Free Sundays”: Get two free child (12 and under) lift tickets with one paid adult ticket. For more details: www.kirkwood.com/winter/ticketdeals.php.
- The closest resort to the Reno airport—only 25 minutes away!
- “Runs ‘n Roses”: $124 gives you full-day lift tickets for two adults and two children.
- “Weekend Xtender”: $124 for three consecutive lift tickets.
- “Student Wednesdays”: Present a valid student ID for $29 full-day ticket. See Web site for information on restrictions: www.mtrose.com.
- Uncrowded and less expensive than other resorts: $48 adult day pass, $38 youth, $18 kids, children 6 and under: free.
- 3 For Free: Buy three lesson packages and receive three free lift tickets.
- Family Ski & Ride packages: Tickets for one adult and one child: $66. See Web site for other packages. www.diamondpeak.com
Resort at Squaw Creek
- $10 lift tickets for kids 12 and under, daily.
- Free lift tickets for all military personnel who are on active duty.
- Spring Season Pass: $179. Good from March 30th to season close.
- Discount lodging packages available; speak to an agent directly by calling 800-545-4350 or go to www.squaw.com.
Heavenly Mountain Resort
- Save Mart and Lucky stores are selling full day lift tickets for adult, teen and child for a savings of up to $15.
- Family Spring Break Ski Package: For families who stay at least five nights, get a free fifth night of lodging, a free fourth day of skiing, and kids 12 and under also ski free. Costs start at $244 per person. Valid 3/16-4/21. Check the “Web Specials” link on the right side of the resort's home page—www.skiheavenly.com—for more details.
- Check out Heavenly’s “Last Minute Deals” on the bottom of the resort’s home page, or call 1-800-HEAVENLY.
Additional lift ticket discounts:
Bay Area REI locations: discounted lift tickets for members only; savings of up to $14. www.rei.com.