We’re excited to announce today a next generation Travel Planner and a chance to escape to a tropical paradise!
We know that planning a trip can be an overwhelming experience and although the internet is the go-to place for all your information these days, it can be a real challenge to collect and organize your research. The new TravelMuse Planner makes the chaos of travel planning easy and fun by providing a central place to save, organize and share all your research for any destination.
So what have we changed?
• New TravelMuse Bookmarker
• New TravelMuse Planner
• New Destination Guide section
• New Ask Friends on Facebook integration
• New TravelMuse Trip Widget
• New Contest to Win a Trip to a Tropical Paradise!
You might ask what haven’t we changed!
1. New TravelMuse Bookmarker
We believe that the Web is the platform for planning your trip, and although we have great content on TravelMuse, we know from industry research that people search about 22 different sites to gather research. We also know that with the existing Bookmarker, TravelMuse members have already saved over 5,000 different websites to their Trips!
The new Bookmarker now allows you to save pages, photos and text from any website into your personal Trip folder. If you include the address, we’ll plot it on an interactive map. Learn more and watch the demo video.
2. New TravelMuse Planner
You can now view your research on an interactive map, create a schedule and find other popular items based on the research you have saved. This will make planning your trip on TravelMuse more intuitive and rewarding.
You asked for it, we built it. Being able to use maps to plan your trip came out as a top request, so we’ve built out some cool interactive maps to help plan your trips.
• Saved items are plotted on a map.
• The Most popular drop-down menu shows attractions, hotels, restaurants and shopping items saved by other TravelMuse members.
• The More… drop-down menu shows photos, videos and Wikipedia entries from Google.
• The Google search box at the bottom of the map also lets you search for items from Google Local and save these directly to your Trip.
On the “Items” view the research cards are now easier to read and expand to show more detail. We also added:
• Sort by Most Recent, Added By, Category, Location and Schedule
• Click on the icons on the right of the card to edit, schedule or delete.
• Ask Friends on Facebook from an Item view (see below for details on this).
• Click on the destinations to explore destination guides on TravelMuse or the items to see more detail.
Not everyone wants to plan every day of vacation, but some trips call for more organization than others, so we changed the scheduling view to be more calendar based.
• Now on the calendar view you can open items in the right hand Trip list and select the day or date they want to add the item to.
• On the calendar itself you can drag and drop items between days.
3. New Collaborate and Share
You can still invite friends to join you on TravelMuse to help plan your trip. We’ve also further integrated with Facebook to develop the “Ask Friends” feature. Now for every item you can ask for specific advice. Requests are posted to your wall and then the respective comments are incorporated back into your trip.
4. New Destinations
We reorganized the key destination landing pages which you can navigate to from the Destinations header or to a particular destination highlighted in your trip.
It’s now easier to navigate between guides, hotels, attractions, restaurants, shops and Trips. You can explore items on the map and scroll down the page to see popular Trips, Most popular attractions, themes and activities and articles.
5. New TravelMuse Trip Widget
We introduced the TravelMuse Trip Widget so you can share and showcase Trips on your website, blog and across your social networking sites, based on your Member ID or Trip ID. Learn how to create your Trip Widget.
6. New Win a Trip to a Tropical Paradise!
We’re really excited to have partnered with the Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau to give away a fantastic luxury trip for two to the tropical island of Oahu!. Join TravelMuse and create a Trip to any destination for a chance to win this amazing prize. Enter now!
Lastly, stay tuned for details on our “Trip of the Week” giveaway with Frommers.
We hope you enjoy taking the new site for a spin and please give us any feedback—be sure to use the new feedback tab on the right side of the page!
Phew, right time for a beer or two, I think…