The Harry Potter books and movies transported the imaginations of children and adults alike to an enchanting world of adventure and wizardry. Soon, you’ll be able to physically transport your brood to the magical world of Harry Potter—no broomsticks required.
Yesterday, Universal Orlando Resort, along with Warner Bros. Consumer Products, disclosed the first-ever details on the Harry Potter-inspired attraction, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Set to open in spring 2010 at Islands of Adventure in Orlando, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will bring J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series to life for fans to experience first hand.
Hogwarts Castle. Photo Courtesy of Universal Orlando
As you enter through the front archway at Hogsmeade, the characters, locations and magic of Harry Potter will materialize right before your eyes. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will include the following attractions:
- Hogsmeade station, where the Hogwarts Express will arrive amidst billowing steam
- Zonko’s joke shop, where you can buy Extendable Ears and Sneakoscopes
- Honeydukes, which sells candy and treats like Chocolate Frogs and Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans
- Three Broomsticks and Hog’s Head, where you can sample British fare and sip drinks like Butterbeer and pumpkin juice
- The Owl Post, where you can send letters to loved ones with a certified Hogsmeade postmark
- Ollivanders wand shop, an interactive experience where the wand chooses its wizard
- The magical instruments and equipment shop, Dervish and Banges, that sells Quidditch equipment and Triwizard apparel
- Dragon Challenge, a twin high-speed roller coaster featuring many elements of the Triwizard Tournament
- Flight of the Hippogriff, a family ride that simulates a Hippogriff training flight
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, a state-of-the-art attraction using brand new technology to bring the stories of Harry Potter to life in a new and innovative way
- Filch’s Emporium of Confiscated Goods, which sells Harry Potter-inspired souvenirs
Flight of the Hippogriff. Photo Courtesy of Universal Orlando.
For up-to-date information, visit www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/
Read more about Orlando theme parks in our “Orlando: Theme Parks and Beyond” article.
Plan a trip to Orlando, Fla., on TravelMuse.